Neuro-Oncology Resident Electives
A Neuro-Oncology Elective is a wonderful way for residents to learn more about the field and explore their interest in potential subspecialty training. Residents will have the chance to work with national experts in neuro-oncology and see patients with primary brain tumors, brain metastases, and neurologic complications of cancer in both the inpatient and outpatient clinical setting. Further, participants will be able to see first-hand the rapid progress in neuro-oncology which allows for tremendous opportunities in basic, translational and clinical research with mentorship from passionate faculty members. Certain programs welcome outside resident rotators for a Neuro-Oncology Elective—we encourage interested residents to inquire and apply as early as possible, as arranging an elective can take up to six months. To see the list of these programs, click here.
Society for Neuro-Oncology (SNO) Meetings
SNO conferences such as the Annual Meeting are a great opportunity for residents to present their research, learn about cutting edge developments in basic, clinical, and translational research and network with interdisciplinary experts in neuro-oncology from around the world. Please click on the below link for more details on how to become involved and attend the next meeting. We hope to see you there!
Neuro-Oncology Fellowship Match
Applications will open November 1, 2022.
The Society for Neuro-Oncology announced the launch of a formal match program for fellowship applicants beginning with the 2019/2020 fellowship year. This initiative, co-chaired by Drs. John de Groot and Scott Plotkin, was a natural next step for neuro-oncology as a growing field. The formal match established a first-ever public listing of participating fellowship programs, a uniform timeline, and standardized base application documents to help streamline the application process for both applicants and programs. It also provides time to encourage “best fit scenarios”, and establishes separate codes of conduct for applicants and programs. Note that at this time, the match is for adult fellowship programs.
The match itself is conducted by the vendor San Francisco Match ("SF Match"), with the Society for Neuro-Oncology serving as a the match sponsor, and the SNO Fellowship Match Committee providing administrative oversight. Members of the fellowship Match Committee are Dr. Scott Plotkin; Dr. Maciej Mrugala; and Dr. Leia Nghiemphu.
Candidates must register on the SF Match site to view details on the participating programs and are encouraged to directly contact the programs that they are interested in to confirm if additional, institution specific, items are required.
Adobe PDF Files
Timetable: 2023 Neuro-Oncology Fellowship for 2024
- November 1, 2022: Applications open in SF Match.
- February 28, 2023: Applications close in SF Match.
- March 1, 2023: Interview period begins.
- May 31, 2023: Interview period ends.
- June 9, 2023: Rankings are due at 12:00pm Pacific from candidates and programs.
- June 16, 2023: Results are posted.
- June 19, 2023: Vacancies are posted.
Participating Neuro-Oncology Fellowship Programs
- Barrow Neurological Institute at St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center
- Brown University Medical School - Neuro-Oncology Fellowship Program
- Cedars Sinai - Neuro-Oncology Fellowship Program
- Cleveland Clinic Neuro-Oncology Fellowship Program
- Harvard Medical School at Beth Israel Deaconess MC Neuro-Oncology Fellowship Program
- H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute
- Henry Ford Hospital - Neuro-Oncology Fellowship
- Johns Hopkins U and National Institute of Health Fellowship in Neuro-Oncology
- Mass General Brigham & Dana Farber Cancer Centers
- Mayo Clinic Arizona Neuro-Oncology Fellowship
- Mayo Clinic Neuro-Oncology Fellowship - Rochester, MN
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Neuro-Oncology Fellowship Program
- Mount Sinai Hospital - Neuro-Oncology Fellowship
- Northwestern University Neuro-Oncology Fellowship Program
- NYPH-Columbia/Cornell, Neuro-Oncology Fellowship
- Oregon Health and Science University
- Stanford University - Adult Neuro-Oncology Fellowship Program
- The Ohio State University Neuro-Oncology Fellowship Program
- The Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center /Duke Neuro-Oncology Fellowship
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Neuro-Oncology Fellowship Program
- UAB Neuro-Oncology Fellowship Program
- UCLA Neuro-Oncology Fellowship Program
- University of California, Irvine Neuro-Oncology Fellowship
- University of California, San Francisco Neuro-Oncology
- University of Colorado Neuro-Oncology Fellowship Program
- University of Florida Neuro-Oncology
- University of Miami Hospital and Clinics / Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center
- University of Michigan Medical Center Neuro-Oncology Fellowship Program
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- University of Rochester Medical Center Neuro-Oncology Fellowship Program
- University of Utah Neuro-Oncology Fellowship
- University of Virginia Neuro-Oncology Fellowship
- University of Washington - Neuro-Oncology Fellowship Program
- UT Southwestern Medical Center Neuro-Oncology Fellowship Program
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Yale School of Medicine, Department of Neurology, Medical Neuro-Oncology Fellowship Program